James has a broad range of experience in various dispute resolution procedures and industries, including aviation, electrical power generation, infrastructure, oil & gas and rail. He specialises in international arbitration, and has acted on arbitrations administered by ICC, ICSID, LCIA, SCCA, SIAC and UNCITRAL. James’ particular focus is on multi-faceted disputes involving complex technical issues, often applying foreign substantive law. James has experience dealing with and managing large teams of lawyers and experts from various jurisdictions and across a range of disciplines. He is also often instructed to provide strategic advice during the course of a project, with a view to avoiding or mitigating disputes as they arise.
Recommended in The Legal 500 UK in the areas of Contentious Construction and International Arbitration, James stands out as “a rising star in construction litigation. He is razor sharp, has an excellent understanding of the construction industry, and is extremely efficient and user-friendly”. Clients also praise him for being “totally on top of the details” and having “an eye to the big picture”, as well as being “engaging, incredibly hardworking and brilliant to work with – clients love him”.
James trained in Australia, qualifying in 2009. Whilst in Australia, James worked as a disputes lawyer for one of the largest firms in the country and held the position of Senior Associate to the Honourable Justice T Forrest of the Supreme Court of Victoria.
Examples of James’ expertise include:
- acting for the main contractor in an ICC arbitration against a subcontractor under a Moroccan law governed contract in relation to a project in Morocco consisting of two phosphates production lines;
- advising a main contractor in relation to a dispute with the employer under a Rwandan law governed contract relating to a hydroelectric dam in Rwanda;
- acting for a main contractor in a SCCA arbitration against a major subcontractor in relation to claims arising under a Saudi law governed contract for the construction of a specialist hospital in Saudi Arabia;
- acting for a main contractor in multiple DAB proceedings against the employer under an Ethiopian law governed contract in relation to a hydroelectric dam in Ethiopia;
- acting for a main contractor in two parallel ICSID arbitrations following annulment of an arbitral award relating to a dispute involving a hydropower plant in Vietnam;
- acting for a main contractor in DAB proceedings against a subcontractor and an ad hoc arbitration against a supplier under Qatari law governed contracts in relation to a major housing development in Qatar procured for the World Cup 2022;
- acting for the main contractor in dispute proceedings against the employer and multiple ICC arbitrations against various subcontractors and suppliers under UAE law governed contracts in relation to the construction of a major railway project in the UAE;
- acting for a main contractor in multiple ICC arbitrations against the lead designer under contracts governed by Saudi law and Swiss law on a major metro project in Saudi Arabia;
- advising a major oil company on English law aspects of a cross-border dispute involving a pipeline project in the United States;
- acting for a main contractor in a dispute with the employer on claims arising under a Saudi law governed contract in relation to the construction of a major infrastructure development project in Saudi Arabia;
- advising an employer on procurement strategy for a significant sporting complex in Saudi Arabia;
- acting for a wind farm operator in a dispute with a subcontractor over technical defects in relation to a wind farm project in the Irish Sea, UK;
- advising a subcontractor in a dispute with the main contractor arising under an English law governed contract for the construction of a living quarters to be adjoined to a major gas rig in Qatar;
- acting for a specialist heat transfer technology subcontractor in an LCIA arbitration against the main contractor in relation to a nuclear power plant project near Rio de Janeiro, Brazil;
- acting for a major contractor in a dispute against the employer in the Islamabad High Court in relation to a highway infrastructure project in Pakistan;
- acting for a main contractor in an ICC arbitration against the employer under a Qatari law governed contract for the construction of major infrastructure works in Lusail, Qatar;
- acting for a specialist subcontractor in an UNCITRAL arbitration against the main contractor arising under a supply contract for equipment for a nuclear power plant in China;
- acting for a project manager in an ICC arbitration arising during and following the construction of a major international airport in the Middle East;
- acting for a major oil company in proceedings in the UK Technology and Communication Court regarding oil spills in the Niger Delta;
- assisting a Japanese industry body in drafting standard form construction contracts.
- member of the Society of Construction Law;
- member of the International Bar Association.