James has experience in a broad range of dispute resolution procedures and industries, including aviation, infrastructure, oil & gas, electrical power distribution and telecommunications. James has acted for a range of different contractors, with a special focus on those operating in Africa and the Middle East. James has particular experience in ICC arbitrations involving complex claims on major infrastructure projects, often applying foreign substantive law. James has experience dealing with and managing both foreign law experts and technical engineering experts across a range of disciplines.
Recommended in the areas of Contentious Construction and International Arbitration in The Legal 500 UK, James stands out as “a rising star in construction litigation. He is razor sharp, has an excellent understanding of the construction industry, and is extremely efficient and user-friendly”. Clients also praise him for being “totally on top of the details” and having “an eye to the big picture”, as well as being “engaging, incredibly hardworking and brilliant to work with – clients love him”.
James trained in Australia, qualifying in 2009. Whilst in Australia, James worked as a disputes lawyer for one of the largest firms in the country and held the position of Senior Associate to the Honourable Justice T Forrest of the Supreme Court of Victoria.
Examples of James’ expertise include:
- acting for a lead contractor in a dispute with the employer on a major infrastructure development project in the Middle East;
- acting for a wind farm operator in a dispute with a subcontractor over technical defects;
- acting for a subcontractor in a dispute with the lead contractor on a nuclear power plant project in Brazil;
- acting for a lead contractor in a dispute with the lead designer on a major public transportation project in the Middle East;
- acting for a project manager in respect of various disputes arising during and following the construction of a major international airport in the Middle East;
- assisting a project manager in relation to the management and repair of technical defects;
- acting for a large oil company in proceedings in the UK Technology and Communication Court regarding oil spills in the Niger Delta;
- acting for a large electricity distribution company in group proceedings following a major bushfire;
- assisting a Japanese construction industry body in drafting standard form contracts;
- acting for a major telecommunication company in relation to various outsourcing arrangements.
- member of the Society of Construction Law.