Marc worked as a construction manager and building surveyor with a city-based surveying company before moving into law. Since qualifying as a solicitor, Marc has specialised in construction and engineering related disputes and has significant experience in avoiding and resolving disputes on a wide range of domestic and international projects, including in relation to oil and gas facilities, off-shore wind farms major road, rail and tunnelling projects, wind farms, commercial and industrial schemes, and high-end residential developments. His experience also includes professional negligence disputes in relation to construction professionals.
In addition to handling disputes, Marc also has experience of negotiating and advising on domestic and international construction and engineering contracts and associated documentation, including consultants’ appointments, framework agreements, bonds, guarantees and warranties.
Marc’s expertise in the management and resolution of disputes spans a range of different forums, including: domestic and international arbitration, litigation in the Technology and Construction Court, as well as alternative dispute resolution processes such as adjudication, mediation and expert determination.
Examples of Marc’s expertise include:
- acting for a contractor in relation to ICC arbitration proceedings concerning the design, construction and installation of an off-shore wind farm;
- acting for contractor in relation to LCIA arbitration proceedings concerning an Engineering, Procurement and Construction contract for the design, construction, testing and commission of facilities to process crude oil and gas in the Middle East;
- acting for an Austrian civil engineering contractor in Dispute Adjudication Board and ICC Arbitration proceedings relating to a dispute on a project for the rehabilitation and renewal of an Eastern European railway;
- acting for a Greek contractor in ICC Arbitration proceedings in relation to a project in Eastern Europe for the upgrading of an existing water supply system, including the rehabilitation of wells and reservoirs, the construction of a new pipeline, pumping and chlorination stations. The proceedings included the enforcement of Dispute Adjudication Board decisions;
- acting for a specialist glazing contractor in ICC Arbitration proceedings relating to the detailed design and installation of a complex glass curtain walling system and its interface with an undulating grid-shell roof on a prominent new building in London;
- advising a European joint venture contractor in relation to the referral of disputes to the Dispute Adjudication Board on a project for the design and construction of a section of motorway with numerous interchanges and bridges in Eastern Europe.
- acting for the owner of a new Care Home in relation to a TCC dispute concerning the defective design of pile foundations;
- acting for a number of businesses and their insurers in TCC proceedings brought against TOTAL to recover insured and uninsured losses arising out of the explosion at the Buncefield Oil Depot in 2005;
- acting for the insurers of a facilities management contractor in TCC proceedings relating to damage caused to commercial premises as a result of flooding caused by the overflowing of water from the cold water storage tanks on the top floor;
- acting for CIB Properties Limited in TCC proceedings in relation to a dispute arising out of the construction of its new data centre in London;
- acting for an engineering consultant in relation to disputes arising on a tunnel re-lining project.
- acting for a main contractor in relation to disputes concerning a high-rise commercial development in central London;
- acting for a contractor in relation to series of disputes concerning delays, defects and payment in relation to the design and installation of a cladding system;
- acting for a main contractor in relation to adjudications and TCC enforcement actions concerning high-end residential and mixed developments;
- acting for an M&E contractor in respect of TCC enforcement proceedings following successful adjudications relating to the value of work carried out;
- acting for a contractor in relation to a dispute with a civil engineering sub-contractor on a rail project;
- acting for insurers of a de-watering sub-contractor in relation to a series of adjudications arising out of ground collapse on a tunnelling project;
- acting for a developer in relation to a series of adjudications concerning delay and disruption claims on a high-end residential project;
- acting for a contractor in relation to a series of adjudications and subsequent mediation relating to payment, unavailability deductions and termination issues under a lift repair and maintenance contract.
- acting for the building contractor in relation to a £79m schools PFI project;
- acting for an FM contractor in relation to a hospitals PFI project;
- acting for an SPV in relation to a National Health Service LIFT project.
Marc’s memberships include:
- member of the Technology and Construction Solicitors’ Association;
- member of the Society of Construction Law.