Matthew has extensive experience of energy, construction and engineering disputes gained through litigation, international arbitration and adjudication. He has assisted in acting for domestic and international clients, including employers, contractors and subcontractors, in relation to disputes arising out of process plants and other large-scale infrastructure projects.
Matthew has experience of the JCT, NEC and FIDIC standard forms of contract and various bespoke contracts, in particular EPC forms of contract. Matthew’s non-contentious experience includes drafting and negotiating documentation in the form of building contracts, appointments and warranties, including placing contracts for a major entertainment company in the UK, Europe and Asia.
Examples of Matthew’s expertise include:
- acting for an international EPC contractor in TCC proceedings against a state-owned corporation in a high-value dispute arising out of the termination of a bespoke EPC contract relating to the world’s largest single stream LDPE plant;
- acting for an international EPC contractor in TCC proceedings and international arbitration proceedings in relation to various contractual disputes relating to the design and construction of a number of UK offshore wind farms;
- acting for a UK developer in multiple disputes with a major UK main contractor in connection with a number of high-end residential developments in Central London;
- acting for an international EPC contractor in connection with a liquidated damages dispute relating to the construction of a UK energy from waste plant;
- acting for an international energy company in connection with various contractual disputes relating to the construction of a UK biomass plant;
- acting for an international EPC contractor in connection with a high-value insurance claim and other contractual disputes relating to the construction of a combined-cycle power plant in Africa;
- acting for a UK entertainment company in reviewing, amending and placing JCT contracts and pre-contract agreements in respect of multiple construction projects throughout the UK, Europe and Asia.
- member of the Society of Construction Law;
- member of the Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn.