Leonie specialises in international arbitration, with a particular focus on contentious construction, energy, and infrastructure projects. Based in the Middle East for over 10 years, Leonie has acted for and advised both local and international companies on a range of complex construction and infrastructure disputes and has extensive experience in advancing and defending claims under the ICC, LCIA, DIAC, ADCCAC and UNCITRAL rules.
In addition to her years spent in private practice, Leonie has also spent time a number of years as in-house counsel, both early in her career and more recently, as a seconded interim general counsel.
Leonie has been described in Legal 500 EMEA as showcasing a “solid mastery of construction and commercial law” (Dispute Resolution: Arbitration and International Litigation, 2022) and as “excellent, with a strong work ethic, excellent with clients, good on detail and not afraid to be firm with experts and opponents when the occasion calls for it. An excellent lawyer and a star for the future: one to watch” (Construction, 2021).
Examples of Leonie's expertise include:
- acting for a contractor in relation to an ICC arbitration on a major rail project in the Middle East;
- acting for an international contractor in relation to an arbitration under the DIAC rules arising out of the construction of a large residential development;
- acting for a master developer on an arbitration relating to infrastructure works in Dubai, UAE;
- advising a multinational infrastructure company in respect of issues arising out of the construction of a solar plant;
- acting for a regional contractor in relation to an ICC arbitration arising out of the construction of a large project in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
- advising an international engineering company in respect of disputes arising out of the construction of a large transport project in the Middle East;
- representing a Middle East-based contractor on complex construction arbitration involving issues of delay, quantum and structural deficiencies;
- acting for a regional contractor on an ICC arbitration involving issues relating to civil engineering claims on a transport project;
- advising a power developer in respect of the on-going construction of a renewables plant;
- acting for a multinational company on an ICC arbitration in respect of a transport hub in the Middle East; and
- acting for a regional contractor on an ICC arbitration involving issues relating to civil engineering claims on a transport project.