Laura has experience in major energy, construction and engineering disputes gained through litigation, arbitration, adjudication and various forms of dispute resolution. She has acted for domestic and international clients, including employers, contractors and subcontractors. Her practice principally focusses on UK matters and, as a result, Laura has been involved in cases at all levels from the Supreme Court to the TCC. Laura also has experience in major arbitrations and adjudications (including acting in enforcement proceedings).
She is familiar with the major forms of domestic construction contracts, including JCT, NEC3 and NEC4.
Examples of Laura’s expertise include:
- acting in Supreme Court proceedings in connection with the design and installation of an offshore wind farm;
- acting for a defendant joint venture contractor in respect of various arbitration proceedings relating to the construction of a large-scale tram extension project in the UK;
- acting for an M&E subcontractor in TCC proceedings against a main contractor in relation to a UK hotel;
- acting for a contractor in disputes arising out of the construction of a luxury hotel in a landmark London building;
- assisting in a dispute arising out of a nuclear installation for mobile nuclear reactors;
- advising in disputes relating to a combined heat and power plant within the UK;
- acting for a variety of clients in relation to payment disputes, debt recovery and insolvency;
- acting for a referring party national building contractor in a payment dispute adjudication arising from delays to works and variation undertaken at a national airport; and
- advising a major UK infrastructure contractor on matters arising out of a joint venture with its international partner in relation to a pipeline project.
Laura graduated from the University of Exeter with a degree in Law, and she was awarded the Michelmores prize for achieving the highest mark in her academic year for Land Law. Her dissertation focused on pro-environmental attitudes towards waste. She also holds a Master’s degree in International Commercial Law, with her dissertation focusing on corporate rescue within UK insolvency law procedures.
Other activities and memberships
- Laura regularly contributes to articles (Insight) and is a contributor to the Case Note Corner (Adjudication Society Newsletter).
- She is a member of the Society of Construction Law.