A Chartered Quantity Surveyor, Jon worked for 7 years for a national contractor, prior to working as a construction specialist consultant for 11 years. He was subsequently called to the Bar in 2008 and practised at the Independent Bar until 2016. Jon combines strong commercial, analytical, advisory and advocacy skills with a pragmatic and approachable manner. Jon undertakes work in: construction; engineering; process; public utilities; professional negligence; and general contract.
Jon has experience of: high-spec buildings; water and wastewater civil engineering and facilities; residential; road building; large diameter pipework; power generation; retail; bridges; rail; and hospitals, amongst other sectors.
Jon is also experienced in matters relating to all general aspects of building/engineering disputes; payment/procedure under the Construction Act; delay/extension of time matters; claims for loss and expense; liquidated damages; defective work; final account matters; certification issues; disruption claims; professional negligence; negligence claims; and nuisance claims.
Together with litigation, Jon has extensive experience of adjudication, arbitration, mediation and other forms of ADR. He is able to advise, draft and represent parties in all forums. His experience has involved all the major standard forms of contract such as JCT, NEC, ICE, FIDIC and MF/1.
He has a wide range of experience in contractual and commercial matters, and the management and resolution of disputes, particularly in the care and conduct of proceedings and the preparation of submissions. He also has experience in the preparation of detailed factual evidence for use in all dispute resolution forums. Jon’s 18 years in industry before being called to the Bar give him extra insight into the business, finance and commercial world.
Jon has a degree in Quantity Surveying and a First Class degree in Law. He is a TECBAR accredited Adjudicator and an accredited Mediator.
Examples of Jon’s recent expertise include:
- acting for a major civil engineering contractor in connection with a final account dispute relating to a port development. Value of dispute: £3m;
- care and conduct of a dispute in the Pre-Action Protocol (PAP) process stage on behalf of an education body. Value of dispute: 3.9m;
- acting for a major civil engineering contractor in connection with a number of disputes relating to a tunnelling project. Value of dispute: £1.2m;
- acting for a national contractor in respect of a series of adjudications relating to payment provisions and the Construction Act. Overall value of dispute: £3.25m;
- acting on behalf of an international contractor in connection with a PFI tram project. Overall value of dispute: in excess of £100m;
- party representative in mediation proceedings, following completion of the PAP process. Value of dispute: £7m;
- party representative in a series of adjudications relating to validity and effectiveness of Payment Notices and issues relating to the Notified Sum due. Value of dispute: £1.6m;
- Counsel in a number of adjudication enforcement hearings;
- Counsel in numerous CMCs, PTRs, Applications, and trials; and
- advising on various adjudication enforcement and Part 8 issues.
- fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS);
- fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb);
- fellow of the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (FCInstCES);
- member of the Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR);
- member of the Society of Construction Law.