Sarah has acted for various types of clients including employers, contractors and sub-contractors, advising on a wide range of construction and engineering matters.
Specialising in non-contentious areas, Sarah has advised on many standard forms of contract, including the JCT, GC/Works and NEC suite of documents, drafting and negotiating schedules of amendments, as well as drafting and negotiating bespoke construction and commercial contracts, such as professional appointments, collateral warranties, guarantees, framework agreements, escrow agreements, deeds of variation and standard terms and conditions.
Before joining Fenwick Elliott, Sarah had over six years’ experience in the finance and commercial team of a major City practice, where she acted for corporate clients, financial institutions, local government departments and private companies on a broad range of issues including company restructurings, several complex structured disposals of property/business portfolios, and financing and refinancing transactions.
Examples of Sarah’s expertise include:
- advising the employer on the procurement route for a £70 million refinancing in connection with the major refurbishment of commercial premises including drafting and negotiating the main building contract, professional appointments and associated funding aspects;
- advising a university on the procurement route and providing on-going advice on a circa £30m project developing a new student centre;
- advising a university on the construction of a new mixed use development including a hotel, retail units and apartments – advising on the procurement strategy and drafting and negotiating all professional appointment documents and an oversail licence;
- advising the employer on a £6 million refit of high-end residential premises in central London;
- advising the employer in relation to the refurbishment of several luxury boutique hotels in central London;
- advising the developer in relation to the redevelopment of offices into high-end residential premises in central London;
- advising an employer on its tender procedure and associated documentation;
- advising on and preparing documentation relating to assignments of capacity in connection with a major international gas pipeline. Reviewing procurement contracts relating to the pipeline and advising on and drafting new sets of standard terms and conditions;
- advising a National Health Service Trust in connection with a dispute arising from the insurance aspects of a major PFI project.
Sarah is a regular contributor to the Fenwick Elliott Annual Review and has also written articles for the International Quarterly and Building Magazine. Sarah speaks at in-house and external seminars and training for clients.
Sarah’s memberships/positions include:
- member of the Society of Construction Law.